This program is discontinued. It is outdated and we have no download links for it on this page. Sorry. The text below is a review of URLMenu as it once was.
URLMenu is a bookmark launcher that resides in the system tray. It works with Internet Explorer, Opera, and Netscape bookmarks. This program is somewhat dated, but still very useful. Here’s a list of its most useful functions; note that this applies only to the supported browsers (no Firefox, unfortunately):
- Find and launch any of your bookmarks from the system tray (see screenshot)
- Bookmark any URL automatically by copying it (CTRL-C) twice in quick succession.
- Find link function: will prompt a little window where you can filter your bookmarks by whatever you type in.
- Add link function: bookmart a URL quickly from the system tray.
- Link Checker: scans your bookmarks and finds broken links. This is restricted to 100 links in the free version. If this functionality is important to you use the freeware AM-Deadlink instead.
- URLmenu is skinnable. It comes with a number of skins that you can choose from and a couple more are found here. For my screenshot I modified the WinNT skin to make the font smaller (you can download it here).
There are also a number of other functions (e.g. quickly do a search on Google) which aren’t as interesting as the ones above.
What I like about this program is that you can have it point to a user-specified folder with selected bookmarks in it if you want. I’ve used this to create a folder of my most often used bookmarks that I now quickly launch from the system tray, which is really handy. It also avoids the clutter of dozens of bookmarks being displayed 95% of which I never use.
Differences between the Lite and paid version: Link checker restricted to 100 links as mentioned above; also apparently there are more skins in the paid version.
This program is a bit dated (last updated in Dec 1999), and does not offer Firefox support. However, for the browsers it supports it does a very nice job as a system-tray bookmarks launcher.
Version tested: 188.8.131.527
Go to the program home page for more info.