System Explorer is a system monitoring and analysis program that picks up where the Windows “Task Manager” leaves off.
It expands on the “Task Manager” by adding many more features, including detailed info on processes, Windows, IE addons, connections, drivers, opened files, Explorer, services, startups, and uninstallers.
System Explorer is simply a fantastic collection of tools for system analysis and diagnostics. I am not going to go over everything this program does; instead, here are my top 5 (actually 6) favorite things about this program in descending order.
6. Displays the path to any process, driver, service, application, etc. that you may be interested in. This is pretty useful in that in most cases you are able to trace a running process to the program that originated it.
5. Right click on any process and instantly search processlibrary.com (or Google) for information on that process. I was not familiar with processlibrary.com before trying this program but as process resources go I must say it is quite good.
4. Right click on any entry (process, app, service, etc.) to instantly upload it to virustotal.com, which will check it across more than two dozen antivirus/antimalware engines for viruses, trojans, and any other kind of malware. Very handy indeed.
3. Process History. If you’ve ever had something happen in your system and thought “what on earth just happened”, a quick glance at the history tab in System Explorer will show you a history of every process that kicked in and the time of the event.
2. Snapshots: in the history tab, you can click on “snapshots” and create a snapshot of registry and fiels (or just one of the two). You can then create another snapshot at a later point and compare the two, which could be useful in, say, identifying the changes made to a system when installing a program or if you suspect that a program has installed something it shouldn’t have.
1. Connections: every wished you could see a list of the latest programs that have accessed the internet? Just click on the”connections” tab in process explorer to find this information.
Note that a portable version of this program is also available. For more information on the functions provided by this program visit the System Explorer program page.
Version tested: 22.214.171.1240
Go to the System Explorer page to download the latest version (approx 1.22 megs; 443K for the portable version).