SuperF4 is a free utility that resides in memory and delivers instant, quick termination of apps or processes via hotkey. It is designed to forcibly terminate any running program effectively and instantly, but without notifications or prompts to save your work.
This is done by pressing CTRL+ALT+F4 for terminating the active app, while WIN+F4 will allow you to use the mouse to click on any visible Window to terminate that app or process.
This program can provide instant termination of a program or app that may have crashed or frozen on you. It is designed to always be running in the background should the need for it arise, wherein it can kick into action via hotkey.
You might wonder why you may want this since you could always press Alt+F4 or CTRL+ALT+Delete, get to the “Task Manager”, and terminate the app from there. The answer is that when doing it this way the program can refuse to quit; in this case, to quote the developer’s site “Windows essentially only asks the program to quit, and lets it decide for itself what to do”; SuperF4, on the other hand, will force the program to quit.
Here are more notes on this program:
- Termination: SuperF4 is designed to terminate any program; note, however, that the terminated program will shut down immediately and will not give the option to save your work.
- Hotkeys: CTRL+ALT+F4 terminates active app;WIN+F4 will allow you to use
click on a visible window to terminate it. You cannot change these hotkeys.
- Terminate by clicking on an app: once you press the hotkey (WIN+F4) they cursor will change its appearance to a skull and crossbones icon (see screenshot above). Press ESC if you change your mind and don’t want to terminate anything.
- Size in memory: approx. 7 megs. Which is rather small if you’re wondering.
- System tray icon: can be disabled if you do not want it to show.
The verdict: a very nice program. And while you may not have an immediate use for it when you first use it, you will really appreciate that its there when/if you encounter an obstinate program that previously would have required a reboot.
Check out previously mentioned AltDrag from the same author.
Version Tested: 1.0
Go to the program page to download the latest version (approx 1.15 megs).