Mp3splt-gtk is a free multi-platform tool that can split large MP3 or OGG files without re-encoding.
It offers a number of different ways to do this, including autodetecting silences, using a a local CDDB or CUE file, and downloading album and track length info from freedb.org .
Other options include splitting by fixed time segments and unwrapping Albumwrap or MP3wrap files.
If you need a program that can split large MP3 or OGG files, look no further than Mp3splt-gtk.
What makes this program noteworthy is the number of different ways that it offers to determine split points inside your audio file. Here are more notes on this program:
- Split by autodetecting silences: you will need to provide the parameters for this such as the threshold level to mark a “silence”, the cutpoint offset (0 is the beginning of the silence, 1 is the end), minimum silence length to detect, how many silences to process, and whether to remove the silences between tracks. It actually is quite easy and intuitive; you’ll be on your way the first time you use this method.
- Downloading album info from the internet: (my favorite feature) if what you are splitting is a commercially available recording you can simply search for the audio/album you want to split in the “FreeDB” tab and select the correct match from the list of results. Mp3splt-gtk will use the downloaded track length information to determine the split points, which you can then audit and/or modify if needed in the “splitpoints” tab. This is also a great way to import tag info into your split files.
- Create, view, and edit splitpoints: you can do this visually from the “player” tab (press the play button to get your audio file to load and play your file using the internal player; can also use SnackAmp as an external player). Or you can click on the “Splitpoints” tab and create or edit split points there by typing in or editing time values (by minutes, seconds, and hundred fractions).
- Split by CDDB or CUE files: if you have access to these Mp3splt-gtk is able to use this information for quick audio file splitting.
- Wrapped files: can process files created with Albumwrap or the open source MP3Wrap (these programs can convert multiple audio files into a single file while enabling playing the components individually and maintaining tag information).
- Split by fixed time segments: also supported.
Wish list (or how this program can be even better)
- The option to autodetect silences and create split points without actually splitting (i..e. stopping short of splitting, but creating splitpoints in the “Splitpoints” and “Player” tabs). This will give the user the opportunity to audit these by listening to the result and/or edit them before actually splitting.
- Visually representing the audio waves in the “Player” tab, in the style of a sound editor such as Audacity. A little bit of eye candy that could be a really cool addition (although I would settle for just implementing the first point of the wish list above).
The verdict: if you are looking for a program to split MP3 and OGG audio files Mp3splt-gtk is one of the best free programs out there and certainly one of the most feature-rich and most innovative. Highly recommended!.
Version Tested: 0.5.2 (Windows).
Compatibility: WinAll, Linux, MacOSX
Go to program page to download the latest version (approx 17 megs).