DIManagerX saves the location of desktop icons, allowing you to restore them if their locations change Imagine you’ve just cleared your desktop of all the icons you do not want and put in all the shortcuts and files that you typically like to work with, exactly the way you want them.
Wouldn’t be cool to be able to save this configuration so you could always go back to it? With DIManagerX you could do exactly that.
There are a number of reasons why your desktop icons might change from the way you like them: you (or somebody else) may move them in the course of your work, a program such as a virtual desktop application may mess them up for you.
Or, most commonly, it happens whenever there’s a change in screen resolution (which typically happens when launching games).
The main draw that this program has for me is that it works beautifully with Dexpot, my favorite virtual desktop program. Here’s what you need to know about DIManagerX:
- You can save as many configurations as you want, even with different screen resolutions. With Dexpot I am able to save the icon configuration for each of my virtual desktops and restore them at will (use the Re-Save saving option to create different profiles).
- Works with multiple monitor setup.
- If you elect to do so, you can keep it running in the background and it can automatically revert back to the default profile whenever there’s a change in screen resolution. It can also take a snapshot and save your icon locations at regular intervals (which seems a bit of a strange function to me, as I am not sure how you would prevent from saving a configuration you don’t want).
- Note that by default the program language is German. You will have to do some navigation (in German) in order to change to English.
- No install program, can be used portably on USB.
Wish list: one drawback that the program has is that it seems to require switching off the “align icon to grid” option to function. Somewhat inexplicable and inconvenient to say the least. I do hope they change this in a future release.
I’ve used a number of programs similar to this and I must say DIManagerX is my favorite; I recommend it highly.
Version tested: 22.214.171.124 Final.
Compatibility: Windows 2000, NT4, XP 32bit, Vista 32bit
The program page is no longer available, but you can download this program here.