Do you have a huge photo library with a lot of duplicate images? Or perhaps you have multiple resized versions of the same image cluttering your hard drive and resulting in the same image appearing multiple times in slideshows, etc.
If so, check out Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder, a free program that can identify both duplicate and similar photos and present them visually side by side.
It does not simply find identical files but images that “look” similar as well. It also calculates a similarity percentage that measures how likely it is that the images are indeed duplicates.
Some notes on this:
- How to use: really simple; add a folder or folders that contain images to the list and run, and it will present you with a list of dupes or potential dupes.
- What it finds: duplicate image files located in different folders or having different names, different-sized versions of the same image, as well as “similar” images that have slight differences within them.
- Un-identical images: note that some images that will be flagged will not in fact be dupes, such as two images taken in quick succession (see image to the right).
- Similarity percentage: very useful in that it allows you to more easily make decisions.
- Actions: three icons under each image allow you to quickly move, delete, or open the image’s location in explorer.
- Nice interface: the side by side visual display is quite intuitive. Clicking on the column tops (e.g. similarity) will sort the entries by that value.
- Works well most of the time: the exceptions tend to be obviously identical images (visually) that get ranked low in the similarity index. At least it errs on the side of caution rather than the opposite.
- Portable version: is available.
Wish list: (or how this software can be even better).
- Batch actions: i.e. the ability to place a check next to a large number of images and then select an action to perform, such as move to a folder or delete.
- Batch filtering rules: a few simple rules would have been great, such as auto-select all images that have a certain string in the folder name, select older or newer image in each highlighted pair, process only images that have a similarity score of x or under/over, filter by size or resolution, etc.
The verdict: Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder has a fairly good engine underneath the hood; however, the options for taking action on your hard drive are very basic and could/should be greatly improved.
All the same this is a nice addition to the handful of available freeware options in the category (e.g. VisiPics, Dup Detector, to name a couple). What is nice about Awesome Duplicate Photo Finder is the simple interface that presents images side by side, which makes so much sense in terms of the user experience. Overall a very good program; here’s hoping that it will get even better.
Version Tested: 1.0
Compatibility: Windows 2000/XP/2003 Server/Vista/Windows 7.
Go to the program home page to download the latest version (approx 1 meg).