Piky Basket is a Windows shell extension that adds the ability to add different files and folders from multiple locations into a virtual basket from the context menu, and then perform file operations on all of the basket’s contents at once.
This program differentiates itself from the many shell extensions that provide file copying, moving, and path copying by introducing the concept of a file/folder basket. Simply put, a basket is a temporary (virtual) place where you can consolidate all the different files and folders that you want to work with, then copy, move, or delete all of them at once.
For example, imagine that you are re-organizing your files and would like all files that belong to a certain project to be in a distinct folder for that project. With Piky Basket, you can browse all relevant folders and simply place the files/folders to move in the basket, then once this is done you can move all of them at once into the project folder.
Here are more notes on this program:
- The basket: can contain files or folders from any location. You can actually view the contents of the basket by choosing the “select files” (see 2nd screenshot). You can view files either grouped according to each instance of adding files to the basket or as a simple list.
- Available basket functions: copying and moving basket contents. You can also delete the files by choosing “select files” and pressing delete.
- Copying paths to clipboard: supports selecting files and folders and copying their file/folder paths to clpboard. This function is sperate and does not relate to the contents of the basket.
- Command prompt: you have the option of launching a DOS command prompt inside any folder by selecting any folder (or file within a folder) and launching “Command Prompt Here” from the Piky Basket context menu.
- Resource use: a negligible 150K in memory.
The verdict: a potentially very useful program, and free. If you are a fan of extending the context menu with interesting functions then definitely give this one a try.
Version Tested: 2.0
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, 2003 Server, 2000, ME, 98, 95.
[Update 11/12/2008] It seems Piky Basket has been integrated into “Piky Suite” and is no longer free. However you can download the freeware version that I reviewed in this posting here.
Go to the program page to download the latest version (approx 458K).