Switcher is a free ALT+Tab like application switcher for Windows Vista or Windows 7 in the vein of Expose for Mac. It provides three variations of visual display: tile view, dock view, and grid view (see examples of the first two in the screenshots above, respectively).
The program is invoked by a user-defined hotkey or via mouse movement (or a combination). It provides the unique ability to type in a keyword or a part of a keyword in order to filter the displayed options and hone in on the program or window that you are seeking.
It will also number your windows such that you can quickly jump to your desired selection by pressing the corresponding number key on your keyboard.
So, therefore, here is my PROs list (or why I like this software).
- Provides 3 different styles of display: you can choose the default style to use or switch at will via the F1-F3 keys. See the image to the right for a quick overview of these styles.
- Select by number keys: quick and direct. You can also scroll across the displayed windows using the arrow or tab keys.
- Search function: once Switcher is invoked, you can key in a keyword or part of a keyword to filter your windows. The search box will appear once you start typing. See the screenshot to the right for an example whereby Switcher filtered my nine or so windows to hone in on the two browser windows related to my keyword. An interesting use of this is that you can set Switcher to remember your keyword filter across sessions, such that it would always only populate the Windows that you are interested in and exclude any others.
- Low on resources: at less than 10 megs in memory on my Windows 7 64 bit, this app will not tax your system (although admittedly there are application switchers with a smaller footprint).
- Portable: you can download an installer version as well as a portable unzip-and-run version.
- Customizable: you can customize how Switcher is invoked (keyboard hotkeys, mouse placement, or a combination thereof). You can also customize other aspects, such as the color scheme used, etc.
- Win7: plays extremely well with Windows 7.
- Does not work on Windows XP (requires Aero)
The verdict: I really like Switcher. This app has earned itself a permanent home on my machine. Try it you will like it.
Version Tested: 2.0.02705
Compatibility: Windows Vista, Windows 7.
Go to the program home page to download the latest version (approx 2.09 megs).