Savage is a innovative online multiplayer 3D game that combines elements of a first person shooter with that of a real time strategy game.
It lays claim to being the first of a new RTTS genre (real time strategy shooter).
This title was released as a commercial game that didn’t sell very well, so now the developers have released it as a full freeware title.
Here’s what you need to know about it:
- Gameplay: 2 commanders (humans and beasts) play this as a real time strategy game, building structures and collecting resources. They give orders to their warriors (also called ’action players’), except the each warrior in this game is an online player which can choose to do whatever he/she wants. Most of the time you will play as a warrior (I must admit that even as I am reviewing this I have not played as commander). Commanders issue orders and players can decide for themselves what they are going to do (most of the time, it seems, players simply do as they’re told).
- Storyline: the game is set in a far future world where humanity had stripped the planet of all of its resources and, through constant warfare, reduced itself back into the stone age. During this time, however, a species of beasts have evolved into a degree of sophistication rivaling humans. The two species are now locked in a fierce rivalry over control of their shared planet they call Newerth (new earth).
- Production values: very slick (as slick as you would expect from a commercial game). The graphics are generally excellent. The music and sound are amazing.
- Playability: this is a tough game; it will take a long time to get really good at it. The secret to success is being a team player (you can opt to play more independently, but it seems that this makes survival that much more difficult). The game has a certain allure and will keep you coming back for more.
- Communication: whether you are playing a commander or action player you can communicate with other players as follows: use the built-in communication macros and commands, or use the game’s many messaging options that includes global chat to everyone, team chat to team, select chat to selected players, and messaging a single player (typing /msg followed by the player’s name).
- Free Savage comic book: episode1,pt1, episode1,pt2, episode 2,pt1; watch this space for more.
The verdict: a very original and extremely playable game that will keep you coming back for more.
Version tested: 2.00e
Compatibility: Windows 9x/2k/XP/VISTA, Linux. Fairly powerful video card that supports openGL.