If you need to resize images quickly, right from Windows Explorer and on the fly then this software is for you.
Free Image Resizer is a free Windows tool that lets you select any image or images in Explorer and resize them instantly via right click.
Free Image Resizer allows users to select multiple images at once for batch image processing. Resizing can be done using a number of predefined size profiles or by manually entering the size in pixels. It can also convert your images to PDF.
This program is self-explanatory and there’s not much to say about it. I will comment on a couple of quirks though:
- Installs TWO context menu entries: ‘Resize Pictures’ and ‘Resize Pictures Pro’. Don’t worry, the ‘PRO’ reference is not an ad for a paid version; rather, the first context menu will prompt a simple dialog with pre-defined size profiles, while the second ‘Pro’ option will prompt one with more options (pictured below).
- I like that it allows for specifying one of the two ‘width’ and ‘height’ values and keeping aspect ratio.
- Can export to PDF: from the ‘action’ dropdown, which is interesting (it’s the last option in the dropdown in the screenshot below).
Wish list: a few suggestions that can make this program even better.
- The option to save in a different image format. Strangely absent
- The option to remove one of the two context menu entries (I only use the ‘pro’ entry, and wish I could remove the other one).
- The ability to save custom profiles that can be accessed from the first context menu.
A great, simple image resizing tool that gets a lot of things right, but can be improved. I kind of prefer this one to others previously mentioned on this site (e.g. Image Resizer PowerToy Clone, and VSO Image Resizer, which is now called Light Image Resizer and is still free for personal use).
The export to PDF option is interesting, although I do wish the few items on the wish list could be addressed, which would make this program a LOT better.
Go to the program page to download (Windows XP, Windows 2000, Vista, Windows 7. 32 bit or 64 bit).