Png2swf is a free program that can convert PNG files into an animated flash SWF file.
It can process a number of PNG images serially into a SWF file or otherwise batch-create SWF files out of individual PNGs.
If you need to convert PNG images to flash animations or if you need a simple, quick way to create flash SWF animations or banners this program can be extremely useful.
Here are some notes on this program:
- Input: can use PNG images as input, preserving their transparency. You can use a single image or multiple images that will be displayed in succession within the resulting SWF.
- Transparency: the transparency in the original PNG (if any) is preserved in the SWF.
- Quality: reducing the quality factor can significantly reduce file size; this operates in a similar manner to what you would expect from JPG compression.
- Delay: when using multiple images in succession it is possible to set delay between them either through the delay field in the program dialog (in seconds) or the FPS field (frame per seconds). The program seems to respond to whichever value you entered in the two boxes that is the largest. Also note that it seems to readily accept fractions of a second if that is what you want.
- Batch operations: it is possible to create a SWF from each PNG in the list rather than a single animated SWF.
- Control SWF: the program allows you to load what it terms a “control” SWF; I couldn’t find info on what this is on the site, but it seems to be a way of appending a PNG to an already existing SWF.
- Console version: note that you can download a console version that provides the ability to perform PNG to SWF conversions through the command line Syntax is: png2swf_console input*.png output.swf [delay] [quality] [control].
- Downloading: you will need to register on the site to get access to the download links, which involves providing a valid email address (or at least one where you could receive and confirm an email).
The verdict: this program provides a great way to convert PNG images to SWF (and, by extension, convert to flash SWF any image files that once you convert these to PNG). If you work with flash it can be potentially extremely useful in many different ways.
Version Tested: 1.2
Go to the Png2Swf page to download the latest version (approx 1.22 megs).