Orbit Downloader is a download manager and accelerator that can download files from any remote server via HTTP, HTTPS, FTP, RTSP, MMS and Metalink protocols. It will detect and download flash files (including FLV video files) from any site, including YouTube.
Used with its Grab++ module, it can download streaming media of any kind, including MP3s from sites such as Pandora, Myspace, Imeem, or Hypemachine, etc.
- Accelerate download speeds: Speed increases will vary, depending on the source(s) from which you are downloading, your internet registry settings, and the program settings.
- Pause and resume downloads: this feature can be a godsend when you are downloading a large file or downloading from an unreliable source (or both).
- Detects and downloads flash video: simply mousing over a flash video or flash file (FLV or SWF) will display a small download button for instant video downloads. Really cool, but the button can be a bit of a nuisance if you don’t want to use it (although you can dismiss it fairly easily)
- Detects and downloads streaming media: the Grab++ module will scan for anything that is being played in your browser, whether it is an audio, video, or flash, and autodetect the download link (only caveat: Grab++ has to be run before the media file is played). This is (a) unbelievably cool, and (b) reason enough for me to switch from Flashget, hitherto my favorite downloader, to Orbit Downloader. Will download WMV and RM streaming video.
- Can download from file upload sites such as Rapidshare: you will have to manually enter the security code that these sites requrire, but Orbit Downloader will automatically detect and download the URL. (Services mentioned in the documentation: Rapdishare, Megaupload, Yousendit, and SendSpace).
- Download scheduling: if you have a lot of files to download, you can use Orbit Downloader to grab all the URLs and download them at an appropriate time. I’ve never personally used this but I can imagine it can be useful if you have dialup or a slow connection.
- “Light and resource friendly”, according to the official website, with a footprint of less than 3 megs of memory. The Grab++ module adds another 11 megs though, but I suppose it can be only launched when needed.
- The Flashget connection: Orbit looks like Flashget and copies a number of elements, including the optional clipboard and browser monitoring and optional drop zone. Thankfully, it doesn’t foray into Torrent downloading, as Flashget did (a good thing since these programs in general cannot hold a candle to some of the powerful Torrent programs out there such as uTorrent, Azureus, and others).
The Verdict: I love this program. It came out of nowhere to become my download manager of choice. I will also say that the Grab++ module is a must. Highly recommended
Version tested: 1.5.7, Grab++ beta 3
Compatibility: Windows 9x / ME / NT / 2000 / XP / 2003 / Vista