MDownloader is a free software for downloading files from popular media hosting sites such as Rapidshare, Megaupload and more than a dozen others.
It removes the need for human intervention when downloading files, allowing you to queue the files you want to download and forget about them; MDownloader will check for file availability, wait for server time delay periods to lapse, recognize and enter captchas automatically, and download the files for you. It also allows for download resuming for those file hosting services that support it.
MDownloader also offers the option to perform multiple simultaneous uploads to file hosting services.
Now that file hosting services are so prevalent, everyone has had the experience of waiting for downloads to be available and for the compulsory delay period to lapse in order to use the “free” download service. MDownloader will let you simply add all the download URLs in a list and forget about it; MDownloader will do the rest.
Here are some notes on this program:
- It works really well: just in case you’re wondering.
- URL capturing mode: press the “Quick Paste” button on the toolbar then start adding URLs to the clipboard. MDownloader will add these URLs en-masse to the list. It does not scan and capture download URLs at all times while its running (which I think is a good thing).
- Automatic captcha resolution: note that while this seems to work well for many file hosting services, it may not work on all. In this case MDownloader will prompt the user for intervention, displaying the captchas in the MDownloader interface itself without the need for opening a browser (see screenshot above).
- Uploading files: MDownloader can also automate the process of uploading files to your favorite hosting services. I have not tried this feature myself.
- Supported services: more than a dozen, including many of the most popular file hosting services.
- RSS monitoring: is provided, in case you like to combine your downloader with the RSS streams of your favorite download source. I did not try this feature myself.
The verdict: MDownloader is very similar to previously mentioned Jdownloader. It has somewhat of a different feel to it in that it is designed to be a small and straightforward app and has less of the complexity and the features of Jdownloader (e.g. download scheduling, attempting to reconnect from dynamic IPs, Firefox integration, etc.)
While for hardcore downloaders or for users who subscribe to the premium services of these file hosting sites Jdownloader might be the better choice, for most ’normal’ users, however, MDownloader is the program I would recommend; it does an excellent job and because of its less complicated set of features it actually provides a better use experience (I am now using MDownloader myself). If you’ve tried both let me know what you think in the comments section below.
Version Tested: 0.15.19 build 59964
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7. Requires MS .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
Go to program home page to download the latest version (approx 2.9 megs).