MadAppLauncher is a simple, free tabbed launcher. It supports up to 10 different tabs, with 30 slots each that can hold program, file, or folder shortcuts.
Each slot is mapped to a key on the keyboard and can be launched by pressing that key .
I personally like tabbed launchers because of the prospect of using them as substitutes for a cluttered desktop (i.e. to replace the disparate icons that exist on the desktop with icons organized/grouped in tabs).
This requires that the tabbed launcher be fairly simple and easy to interact with, which in this case is a very good description of this software.v
Here’s a list of PROs and CONs:
PROS: what I like about this software
- Simple interface: drag and drop shortcuts onto the launcher, from one tab to another, or from one location within a tab to another. Right click to edit; quick and simple.
- The option to set an application’s initial window size and location: as well as whether it is run as administrator or not. (See screenshot to the right).
- 10 tabs: should be more than enough to display and organize everything you can think of.
- Keyboard shortcuts: I like both the fact that MadAppLauncher is accessed via a keyboard hotkey, as well as the ability to launch any of the items in the launcher by pressing a corresponding keyboard key.
- Reconciles shortcuts: which is to say dragging a program shortcut to the tabbed launcher creates a connection to the program itself in it’s install folder (and not the disposable shortcut).
- Displays files and folders: in addition to programs.
CONs: my wish list
- Icon only option: i.e. the ability to hide/ do away with text labels and use icons exclusively within the launcher, would be nice to have.
- It doesn’t save its configuration file ( *.mal) automatically: although you can easily turn it on via settings/options/general/auto save file, this might cause some users unaware that they have to do this to spend a lot of time setting the launcher up for the first time only to find their work gone after restarting the program.
The verdict: a nice little program that does exactly what it purports to do. Definitely check it out if you are looking for a quick program launcher or if you are looking for a tool to help you de-clutter and/or organize your desktop icons. (Or both).
Version Tested: 184.108.40.206
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7. 32 bit and 64 bit. Requires MS .NET Framework 4.0
Go to the program home page to download the latest version (approx 1.45 megs).