If you like (a) free games, (b) games with nice, creative artwork and sound, (c) mindless blasting (or just blasting in general), and (d) all of it put together in a way that somehow just works then check out GunGirl2.
Possibly worse than a Republican takeover of congress, the world has been taken over by zombies. GunGirl takes matters into her own hands, grabs her pistol, and heads out to kick some zombie butt. This game is a platform shoot em up where your character — there’s also a guy character (GunDude?) that you could choose – traverses a varied post apocalyptic landscape laying waste to essentially everything in her path, whilst collecting powerups and weapons along the way.
More notes on this game as follows:
- Powerups: GunGirl can collect little purple “G”’s (which stands for Grrrl power no doubt). Grabbing these actually increases the potency of whatever gun your character may be using.
- Upgrades: collect orbs and cash and use these to buy all sorts of upgrades and enhancements and items. Pause the game to get access to the store.
- Save game portals: are scattered within the game world. Finding and using these is the only way to save your progress. They tend to be few and far between IMHO.
- Weapons: are scattered around the landscape. Find and use them.
- Enemies: run the gamut, from zombies that respawn shortly after you dispense of them, to unique enemies that guard certain places.
- Portable: simply unzip and play, no need to install.
- The soundtrack: deserves a mention, as it is very cool! You can download it separately if you so choose.
The verdict: this is a very cool game that you can just launch and play without investing half of your day trying to figure it out. GunGirl2 somehow manages to be more than the sum of its part.
Video trailer: below, for those who like to drool
Version Tested: 1.11
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7.
Go to the program home page to download the latest version (approx 120 megs).