If you want a minimalistic image viewer that just works, but looks really really good while at it, check out the free NexusImage.
This program has a similar look and feel to the ‘Lightbox’ image viewing style you find on many blogs (including this one), where the image seems to float up while the background is dimmed. It also features a nice-looking ribbon of thumbnails on the side of the screen.
NexusImage is free software geared towards image viewing, and does not offer some of the editing functions that other image viewers It is portable software that can be used from a USB.
Some notes on this one:
- Offers smooth stretching: for enlarged images; see image to the right.
- Keyboard hotkeys: let you control every function via the keyboard. Hotkeys are not user configurable though.
- Captions: lets you enter captions for images in a little box under the image.
- Exif info: displays this info nicely.
- Panaoramas: viewed some panorama images, by chance. Displays these nicely, scrolls via right/left arrows.
- Portable: unzip and run
The verdict: a nice little image viewer. Small, portable, and (most importantly) looks very very good. For many people, this is as much image viewer as they will need.
[Thanks to reader freewareer for his comment that introduced me to this software].
Version Tested: 1.1.1
Compatibility: Windows XP, Vista, Windows 7
Go to the program home page to download the latest version (approx 1.5 megs).