Free Stock Ticker is a free, small app designed to display stock ticker(s) on your desktop, as well as stock related headlines as hovering tooltips.
It can also display regular RSS feeds or a combination of both.
Are you interested in stocks? Do you invest or want to invest? Whatever your need, if you’ve ever wanted to put a stock ticker on your desktop this is the program that will do it. Here are more notes on this app:
- Data source: stock prices and news headlines are downloaded from Yahoo Finance.
- Info provided: stock price and difference from last price in dollars and percentages, color coded.
- Interactivity: hover over your stock price and a balloon tooltip with the latest related headlines from Yahoo Finance will be displayed.
- Regular RSS feeds: can be defined in the settings. You can then right click on any of the scrolling lines and select an RSS feed to view it. You can also randomize regular RSS feeds or randomize RSS feeds and stocks (see image to the right).
- Number of lines/tickers: you can have up to six bands scrolling simultaneously.
- Placement: top or bottom (which can be defined in the setup)
- Customizable: you can customize text and background colors, opacity, and scrolling speed.
Wish list (or how this program can be even better)
- The ability to switch interactivity on and off. I noticed that I would inadvertently trigger tooltips during my normal computer activity without intending it. It would be great if, for example, the stock ticker optionally responded to shift+clicking rather than just clicking, to avoid unintended triggering.
- The ability to remove Fox news and CNN RSS feeds, which are predefined.
The verdict: a nice little app for sure. I like (a) that it can display regular RSS feeds as well as stock, (b) that the scrolling is nice and smooth, and (c) its general look and feel, which is quite nice (see the screenshots). But Free Stock Ticker can be even better (see wish list above).
Note that there are a number of free programs that deliver the same function, such as another app with the exact same name (Free Stock Ticker) and TickerTape. If you want to try another program that is just an RSS news ticker and dont care for stocks check out Easy Desk Ticker which I mentioned previously in my posting entitled “Nine Ways to Check RSS feeds“.
Version Tested: 1.2.2
Compatibility: WinAll. Requires MS .NET Framework 3.5. Download it here.
Go to the program home page to download the latest version (approx 319K).