Ever wished you could view encrypted Dropbox files on your iPhone or iPad? It’s easy to encrypt any file on your desktop – there are many good freeware programs that can do that – and easy to share these files on Dropbox; but what if you wanted to view encrypted files on your iPhone or iPad? In this case you will need an encryption platform that can work on the portable devices as well as desktops, and that is precisely what DataLocker provides; Windows, Mac, and iOS file decryption and decryption.
How it works: first off you have to install Datalocker on your Dropbox-connected PC or Mac. Next, use the Datalocker desktop client to password-encrypt your files, and share these on Dropbox.Finally, install the Datalocker app on your iOS device and grant it access to your Dropbox app.
You can now use the Datalocker app to browse files just as you would (and in place of) the Dropbox app, with the difference that it is able to view your encrypted files as well.
The system works pretty well. Here are more notes:
- Encryption type: unsure of this. Could not find information on the Datalocker site.
- File encryption: is done via a nice drag and drop interface on the desktop client.
- File decryption: on iOS, simply browse to the encrypted file just as you would any other, and type the password in. You can store ‘Passphrases’ in the iOS app to avoid typing them in every time.
Wish list: or how this software can be even better.
- Windows integration: it would be nice to be able to decrypt/encrypt files via the right click context menu.
- The option to delete the original file being encrypted automatically, would be nice. Currently, once you encrypt the file you have to manually delete the original manually.
- Android support: was very surprised to learn that there isn’t an Android app.
The verdict: this software offers a simple system that works. If you want to view encrypted files on your desktop, DataLocker is a great way to do it. Keeping fingers crossed for Android support.
Compatibility: Windows, Mac (32 bit and 64 bit). iPhone and iPad.
Go to the program home page to download the desktop client (you will have to register using a valid email and will be emailed a download link) . Next, install the Datalocker iOS app to be able to view it on iOS.