Easeus Todo backup is a free program that can create backup images of your hard drives or partitions and restore them on demand, and can also copy (clone) a hard disk/partition into another.
It can process active primary (boot) partition via a bootable CD/DVD that it will create for you on-demand. Advanced options include mounting of disk image files for easy browsing of their contents, compression, and password encryption.Supports most file systems as well as most hard drive types.
Imagine the following scenario: you’ve freshly re-installed Windows, installed your crucial security apps and a handful of essential programs that you use; that you installed all the security patches and updates and driver updates; the “perfect”, unadulterated state that you would love to be able to go back to if problems arise or something happens that decreases your system’s performance.
Another scenario: you wake up one morning and find that your computer is not booting. After running your PC manufacturer’s built-in diagnostic utility, you are heartened to find that there is apparently nothing wrong with the hard drive surface and that the problem is software-related. You wish that you could go back to a previous state when things were working swimmingly.
What both scenarios above have in common, of course, is that you can use a disk-imaging app such as Easeus Todo backup to solve both situations by creating backup images of your hard drive partitions and restoring them later when you need to.
SEVEN things I like about this program:
- Creates its own bootable disk: to enable booting into the program and restoring the active primary boot partitions. This is great because (a) it is so easy and quick, and (b) a number of freeware hard disk imaging programs that I’ve seen simply (and strangely) do not support boot partition restoration.
- Mounts image files: for quick browsing of files/contents. Read only.
- Offers file-by-file copying or sector-by-sector: unless you expressly want the latter, the former (file-by-file) is faster. It is also more user-friendly if restoring to a larger hard drive.
- Backup straight to CD/DVD: and will split the image file by appropriately sized chunks.
- Free for both personal and business use.
- The help file: is excellent and informative beyond what I would have expected, and thus warrants a mention.
- The interface design: simple, clean easy to use.
- Clone disk: very useful if you are upgrading to a larger hard drive and want to move all the data over.
- Compresses and/or password encrypts image files: optional.
- SupportsWindows server 03 and 08. I mention this because it is apparently a unique feature esp .among freeware programs of this kind.
- Supported file systems: FAT12, FAT16, FAT32 and NTFS.
- Supported partition sizes: minimum 2 gigs, max 1.5 TB.
- Supported hard drive types: IDE, SATA, SCSI, USB removable disk, and Firewire disks
The verdict: this program inspires confidence if only because it is from the same people that gave us the excellent EASEUS Partition Master (one of my favorite free disk partitioning programs). It manages to combine advanced features with a really simple interface design that both novices and advanced users will appreciate.
I also like the fact that this program can create bootable media quickly and that it can be easily booted into. No hunting around the internet to figure out how to install it into BartPE or something like it.
But the best thing about it is that it does the job and does it well. Recommended.
Version Tested: 1.0
Compatibility: Windows 2000 (SP4), XP (32 and 64 bit), Vista (32 and 64 bit), Server 2003 (32 and 64 bit), and Server 2008 (32 and 64 bit).
Go to the program page to download the latest version (approx 35.3 megs).