Copy Path is a small, free Windows shell extension that adds the ability to copy the path, folder path, or filename within the right click shell extension.
Works on individual or multiple selected files and folders.
This is a simple shell extension that allows you to copy the path for files and folder via the right click menu. Interestingly, there are at least two other utilities on the internet with the same exact name that do the same thing; also, this function is offered in other utilities bundled-in with other functions (see here, here, and here for example).
- Path, folderpath, or filename: you can specify whether to copy the entire path, the filename only, or the folder path only.
- UNC: can generate a UNC (Uniform Naming Convention) path, which can be very useful. For example “\YOURCOMPUTERC$File.txt” instead of “C:File.txt”.
- Multiple items: select multiple files and folders and copy the path for all at once into the clipboard.
- I like that it’s an individual download not bundled with other functions.
- Will display the path in the context menu itself (see screenshot above). Note that this is optional and can be switched off.
The verdict: really nice. Recommended.
Version Tested: 1.1
Compatibility: WinAll. There’s a fix that allows it to run on 64 bit machines. Read the comment section on the program page (read all the way to the end).
Go to the program page to download the latest version (approx 348K).