Flash this! is a small, free tool that can convert video files to flash (both FLV and SWF).
This program is a frontend to FFMpeg, the transcoding engine behind the majority of freeware video conversion programs. Here are some notes on this one:
- No decisions to make: except whether you want to convert to FLV or SWF. No resizing, changing aspect ratio or bitrate, etc. This is part of why I like this program. The resulting video will have the same resolution, aspect ratio, bitrate … etc, as the original. For a more ’transformative’ FLV conversion use Super, Internet Video Converter, etc.
- Super fast: probably because it is not re-encoding individual video and audio tracks but simply creating a new container.
- Supports SWF: which is simply fantastic, and another reason why I decided to feature this program on Freewaregenius.
- Memory use: a nice compact 8 megs.
- The ability to go the opposite way (FLV to AVI). I know you can do this with any number of freeware conversion programs (which I mentioned above), but it would be nice to have this functionality here as well using the same simple interface, without giving the user a battery of decisions to make.
- Portability. It would seem that a portable version would be very easy to implement.
The verdict: a very nice free tool to keep in your collection, especially if you just want a simple 1:1 format conversion and re-encoding. You will especially like this tool if you do SWF conversions as well as FLVs.
Version Tested: 3.0
Compatibility: Windows 98, 98SE, ME, 2000, XP & Vista (not tested on Vista 64-bit)