How about a single, small desktop app that upload and download files from your Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, SugarSync, Box and FTP accounts?
If this sounds sweet, then check out CarotDav, a FREE, all-in-one desktop client that connects to all these services, and allows for uploading and downloading of cloud files via drag and drop, all from a simple and straightforward interface. It even offers a convenient portable version.
PROS: What I like about this program:
- An all-in-one client for for cloud storage services and FTP. You can link to multiple accounts from the same service as well.
- Support for some of the best and most popular cloud service (Dropbox, SkyDrive, Google Drive, and SugarSync).
- The authentication process for these services is reliable and easy. You’ll be connected to your accounts in very short order.
- Portable version available: which can be quite convenient.
Here’s another screenshot that displays working with files on ‘details’ view. You can set it to display large icons, small icons, list view, etc.
Wish list: or how this program can be even better
- Support for dual / multiple panes: to simplify file management
- The ability to connect to multiple accounts simultaneously and to drag and drop files from one to another (even if it means downloading locally first in the background). I tried running two instances of CarotDav and copying files from one account to another, without success.
- Support for: Wuala, SpiderOak, and CX (I could go on, but these three are highly regarded; see our free cloud storage comparison article).
A nice, simple program that does an excellent job. I like the fact that it is small and straightforward and does what it purports to do, and I like that there’s a portable version.
We’ve seen something similar on this site in the guise of Cyberduck, which is a little bit more advanced and has more features, but does not connect to the same range of cloud services that CarotDAV does (e.g. no Dropbox, Box, or Sugarsync).
But this program can be improved greatly by implementing some of the suggestions in the wish list above. I would especially love to see CarotDAV connecting to more than one account at once, and being able to transfer files from one account to another.
Let us know what you think in the comments section below. [Thanks go to reader Panzer for the tip about this program].
Visit the CarotDav program page to download (Windows, approx. 1.58 megs)