Any Audio Converter is a freeware program that can convert a wide range of audio files into MP3, WMA, ACC, or OGG audio format.
It can also demux (extract) audio tracks from most video files, including FLV and DVD video VOB files, and provides a preview screen where you can set beginning and end points for audio extraction from a video.
While you can perform audio format conversions another using a number of applications (e.g. a CD ripper such as BonkEnc, an audio player such as Mediamonkey, or even the context-menu based DMSI), there are a number of reasons why you should download and use Any Audio Converter, as follows:
- Converts audio files and demuxes video files as well.
- Broad range of supported input formats (although some audio formats are conspicuously absent): MP3, WMA, WAV, WMV, ASF, VOB, MPG, DV, M1V, M2V, MOV, MPEG-4, 3GP, RM, RMVB and FLV. Supported output formats: MP3, WMA, AAC and OGG. Not supported: FLAC, OGG input, APE, M4A/M4B, (Itunes formats).
- Supports FLV; (for all of you downloading tracks from music sharing sites in FLV format and not knowing what to do with them, Any Audio Converter is what you need).
- Converts files in batches (including videos).
- Allows you to set output quality in terms of bitrate, sample rate, and mono vs. stereo channels. Curiously, it does not support variable bit rate processing.
- Video preview screen allows for setting beginning and ending point for audio demuxing. You can do this individually for each video file even when processing multiple video files.
- Speed: although this is my subjective impression, it does seem to offers excellent conversion performance.
- Displays the audio bitrate for input files, which is excellent information to know when you are converting from a video file or from FLV.
Wish list (or how this program can be even better):
- Support for 160 output bitrate (for some reason it jumps straight from 128 to 190 bitrate in the settings).
- Support for FLAC format for both input/output, OGG for input, APE, input/output, and M4A/M4B.
The verdict: this is a great program to have in your audio file processing toolbox; it does exactly what it claims to do quite well, and is 100% free.
Version tested: 1.0.1
Compatibility: Windows 2000, XP, Vista.
Go to the program home page to get the latest version (approx 13.14 megs).